The Complete Rigger's Apprentice
by Brion Toss
illustrated by Robert Shetterly
Hardbound, 494 pages, 700 illustrations.
From the book's publisher:
This book will show you:
- seven ways to tie a bowline
- how to splice braided rope, including the newest exotic constructions
- how to choose the right rope for your sheets, halyards, docklines, and anchor lines
- the principles of rig design in language you don't need a degree in quantum mechanics to understand
- the Turk's Head, the Matthew Walker knot, and other fancy work
- how to splice wire, splice stranded rope, splice braided rope, splice rope to wire, and splice rope to anchor chain
- amazing rope tricks that will confound the gullible
- how to jury rig when shrouds break and masts go over the side
- and even how to prevent the drawstring from disappearing into your sweatpants
The book is also a free-roaming collection of useful ideas and tips on everything from supplementing winches with block and tackle, to rigging snubbers at anchor, to using pantyhose for an emergency fanbelt.
All profits from the sale of this book will go toward the Guild's educational efforts.