The following are some of the buildings that will be open during the tour. The tour will be self guided this year though
Although this building has been moved to its current location, it originally sat on the waters edge and the overhanging section was used to facilitate the loading and unloading of cargo from smaller ships. The building was used as a warehouse and storage until the 1930's when it was bought by Mary E. and Josie F. Prescott, the founders of
Sherburne House at Strawbery Banke
The Sherburne house is the last remaining house from pre 1700's that remains in this area of
Jackson House at Strawbery Banke
This small, center chimney house dates to the late 1700's and documa=entation suggests that it replaced and earlier house on the site. The house has evidence that an addition was planned, but never executed as it has door framing in the exterior walls, as well as a firebox in the back of a chimney that currently sits on an exterior wall.
Yeaton-Walsh House at Strawberry Banke
The Yeaton Walsh house dates from between 1794 and 1803. At the time of the construction it was built as a simple dwelling for rental income. At the time of constructuon, (and now) dwellings for craftsmen, laborers, fisherman and seamen were in short supply. The building is currently undergoing a restoration where the focus is the retention of the original fabric. This building is an active construction site so please use caution during the tour.
Thomas Aldrich House
The Thomas Bailey Aldrich house was the first house museum in the city of
Threatened with demolition in 1963, the Goodwin house is one of the few that have been moved to Strawberry Banke museum. The house was built in 1811 by a local bricklayer "on spec" it was purchased by Ichabod Goodwin in 1832 and Greek revival elements were added. Later, many of the rooms recieved a Victorian update. However, much of the house still retains its Federal period details. Ichabod went on to serves a two year term as New Hampshire govenor, head of the Portland, Saco and Portsmouth Railroad, and he later became president of the Portsmouth Steam Factory, taking over a six-story building containing 21,000 spindles and 450 looms. It employed 380 people who annually produced two-and-a-half million yards of fine, sheer cotton and linen fabric.