The Basics of Building
This course presents the basic techniques and principles of house building, timber framing, and carpentry. It is the first course in our four-week Timber Framing Intensive, but may be taken as a stand-alone course. It fulfills the recommended prerequisite for those less-experienced who want to take the other courses in the Intensive.
The course includes:
- the concepts of plumb, level, and square, how they rule the framing process, and how to track and measure them to keep your projects in "good shape"
- measuring angles and using basic construction geometry with the framing square for building roofs and stairs
- becoming competent with both hand and power tools to be able to measure and cut to within 1/32nd of an inch.
- extensive practice with power tools such as the table saw, portable circular saw, compound miter saw, as well as hand saws
- all tools for measuring, marking, cutting, shaping, attaching materials, and deconstruction that you would typically find on a housebuilding project. We will also present the hand tool kit required to build a house, which can be carried in a single toolbox.
- the all-important techniques of sharpening edge tools and hand saws
- "tricks" of the trade to make your work easier and safer
Visit www.heartwoodschool.com or contact: email@example.com or 413-623-6677.