Timber Frame Preservation
A Guide to Understanding, Documenting, and Repairing Historic Timber Framed Buildings
Beginning with a brief history of the craft of timber framing and an understanding of historic joinery and traditional layout systems, instructors Michael Cuba and Jack Sobon will teach students how to document and date historic structures using both traditional methods and high-tech gadgetry. The course will address the evolution of preservation philosophy, the United States Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, and applying for grants and tax credits.
The repair of timber framed buildings will be addressed for both in-situ and in-shop work, including shoring, dismantling, types of repairs, glues, epoxy, hardware, and appropriate structural considerations. Classroom presentations will be balanced with field trips to nearby old timber framed buildings for examination and documentation. Timber framed preservation projects underway or recently completed will also be visited.
This course is geared to contractors, architects, engineers, timber framers, and owners of old timber framed buildings.
- The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
Attendees of the course may want to familiarize themselves with the current standards as they relate to preservation, rehabilitation, restoration, and reconstruction. There are links on this page with documents relating to each of these approaches.
- What is the National Register of Historic Places?
This link provides a brief overview of the program and offers links to information on how to list a property, federal preservation laws and regulations, and an FAQ page.
- Publications of the National Register of Historic Places
This link offers specific information on documentation standards and requirements for nominations.
- "Restoration Objectives" by Randy Nash, Timber Framing 24
- "Preservation vs. Restoration" by L. Andrew Nash, Timber Framing 31
- "Restoration Strategies" by Jan Lewandoski, Timber Framing 31
- "Frame Repair Techniques" by Jack Sobon, Timber Framing 68
- "TTRAG Proceedings 2007: Projects at Old Salem" by David Fischetti, P.E., Timber Framing 84
- "Why Preservation Matters" by Lisa Sasser, Timber Framing 97
- "Documentation and Assessment Methods for Timber Structures" by Michael Spencer, Timber Framing 111
- "Photogrammetry 2017" by Andrea Warchaizer, Timber Framing 125
- "A Tale of Two Houses" by David Lanoue, Timber Framing 125
- "Unlocking the Hidden History of Timber" by Daniel Miles, Timber Framing 130
- "Dominy House and Shops: History of Construction" by Robert Hefner, Timber Framing 141
View All Courses