Carpenters & Timber Framers
Fitzgerald’s Heavy Timber (FHT) is looking for experienced carpenters/timber framers with an interest in a construction career.
FHT is a timber frame design - build firm based in Thurmont, MD. Our core business is the restoration and new construction of structural landmarks, utilizing traditional techniques and solutions in heavy timber framing. We are in this business to provide fair and equitable returns to our employees, customers, company, stakeholders, and suppliers, while contributing to the education and training of the communities in which we live and work.
Our portfolio of projects includes converting barns into homes, wood shops, schools, and retail spaces. We also custom design and build new timber frame structures of all types including fully finished homes.
The Carpenter reports directly to the Project Leader and provides functional guidance to other crew members when necessary. Our carpenters are expected to learn more about their trades as they work, therefore FHT offers continuing education benefits to all employees. We also expect our carpenters to be teachers for the Apprentices within our team. Carpenters are responsible for independent carpentry duties ranging from rigging, framing, flooring, siding, sheathing, traditional timber framing joinery, and trim.
This position has good advancement opportunities depending on your commitment to learning and meeting all position duties.
Fundamental Job Duties
- Measure and cut joinery such as mortise and tenon, shiplap joints and keyways per project drawings
- Erect framework for structures and lay sub-flooring
- Assist with building and installing stairs and partition walls
- Assist with the application of roofing and gutters
- Fit and install prefabricated window frames, doors, door frames, weather stripping, interior and exterior trim, and finish hardware, such as locks, letter drops and kick plates
- Assist the sawyer at the sawmill
- Assist with the assembly of cut and finished timber frame components
- Use pneumatic power equipment, power tools, saws, grinders and hand tools
- Erect scaffolding, shoring, braces, install ladders, trestles, handrails, decks, platforms, and gangways
- Keep job site clean and pick up/discard scrap and debris at the end of each workday
- Assist other crew members with overall heavy timber construction
- Follow safety rules, job site safety plans and wear required personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Operate skid-loaders and other power equipment on the job sites
- 3+ years of construction carpentry experience (heavy timber framing experience preferred but not required)
- An understanding of construction site operations and general workflow
- Experience with various hand and power tools
- GED or high school graduation preferred but not required
- Pre-employment, post-accident, and random drug screening for a drug free workplace
- Able to safely lift 70 or more pounds and participate in site clean-up.
- Although the individual seldom communicates directly with customer/client, they must display positive communication skills at all levels of the organization and external sources, i.e., co-workers, sub-contractors, inspectors, and customers.
- Will be required to own a set of personal carpentry/work tools and PPE.
Specialized tools will be provided.
Fitzgerald's is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Apply via Indeed and answer a few screening questions
- We will reach out to you expressing our interest in a phone interview or declining within two weeks
- After a phone interview we will set up an interview with company representatives
- Within a week from our interview, we will contact you with our decision
- Upon acceptance we will onboard you and give you a company orientation
- Pay is bi-weekly, direct deposit
- Eligible for overtime pay
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Professional development assistance
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $18.00 - $28.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
People with a criminal record are encouraged to apply
Ability to commute/relocate:
Thurmont, MD: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Driver's License (Required)
10801 Powell Rd
Thurmont, MD 21788